Re: Releasing features when they are done

Hi Jono,

While Robert is sleeping, here's my take at your clarification questions based
on our conversation.

On August 3, 2010, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Robert Collins
>
> <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This one time, at weekly catchup call, Francis and I spoke about this
> > plan ... :)
> >
> > We both think that its going to take significant time to get all the
> > pieces in place, so we're proposing to make this whole thing even more
> > incrementally adoptable.
>
> I'm going to try to condense this to see if I understand properly.
> I'll indent my own clarification questions.
>
>  1. Set up a daily staging environment which has stable branch and
> production schema.
>      Kind of like our current staging, but without the unreleased
> database changes?

Yes.

>  2. Rollout stable to just the appservers only when it's completely QAd
>      How do we know it's completely QAd?

The QA team is working on qa-shepherd, a script that will report on revisions
that still need QA and such.

>      Is there a facility to roll out just the QAd stuff?

No. Un-qaed revisions blocks deployment.

>      This depends on fixing a deployment icing issue, right?

Yes, otherwise this creates problem during the deployment.

>      Does this also depend on a one-button rollout to all appservers
> script?

No, we already have that. It's like running the cherry-pick deployment script
to all app servers, or running the automatic 'formerly-edge' update script on
demand.

>   3. Get rid of edge. Set up a redirect for legacy edge URLs. Rely on
> feature flags to hide in-development features.
>
> Now at this point, how often will we be rolling out production
> appserver-only changes?

As often as we can. Once the process is smooth, we'll remove the 'push-button'
aspect of it and deploy automatically when a new stretch of QA-ed revisions is
available.

> How much downtime does such a rollout cause?

Once the static icing issue is resolved, none. (That's like current edge
deployment)

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx