Re: performance tuesday - a few notes

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Tom Haddon <tom.haddon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 21:04 +1200, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]
>> I helped wgrant out with some explain analyzes - it seems to me it
>> might be nice - handwaving - to permit explain-analyze calls by any
>> developer, but perhaps thats just insanity at this hour of the night
>> kicking in:)
>
> We'd really like to push fairly hard against this one. EXPLAIN ANALYZE
> actually runs the query against the DB, so it has the potential to cause
> performance problems if it's a badly constructed query, apart from
> anything else.

I've toyed with the idea of allowing EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT ... on a
slave DB via the appserver, so the normal timeout code will kill the
requests after too many seconds. Or even setting a lower timeout, and
if the EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT times out returning just the EXPLAIN
SELECT. SELECT only sorry, and internal only as it would be possible
to discover private information using the facility.

But no plans or discussion beyond idle thought...

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/