Re: optimizing adding team members

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Edwin Grubbs
<edwin.grubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think this shows that if we run everything through a queue, there
> needs to be a way to run really quick tasks in parallel with really
> big tasks. You wouldn't want a single POFile export for a project to
> be stuck behind the processing of 75k files for all of ubuntu. There
> could be a slow lane and a fast lane. If the jobs have a method for
> estimating the length of time reasonably well, we could also have a
> super-fast lane, where the page decides not to queue the task at all.

Something like that yes.

I think its worth considering whether the request is 'interactive'
(user is expecting it to happen 'now') or 'batched' (user is not
waiting for us).

In terms of implementation, we can have multiple queues, a single
queue with priorities, reserved agents for interactive use and so on.
I'm not very keen on sometimes doing it in-web-transaction and
sometimes not - I think its simpler to universally do it the same way,
and make that way /really/ good.

-Rob