Re: some thoughts on performance - fixing stuff

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:13 AM, Francis J. Lacoste
<francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On August 10, 2010, Robert Collins wrote:
>> I'm [finally] following up on the thread to write up some docs about
>> performance from the Epic.
>>
>> my initial draft, which is a bit light on actual helpful stuff for
>> now, is at https://dev.launchpad.net/Performance.
>

> Good work there Robert. This provides a very good overview of what we are
> working toward.

Thanks Francis. I've now added a section on fixing problems - I looked
around and knowing how to address a bad page seems to be totally
internalised knowledge, which is fine but rather harder to share than
stuff which is written down. So I've added a section 'fixing
performance problems' to the wiki page, with a small (for now) list of
the sorts of problems I've personally seen or had described to me.

I'd love it if *everytime* you fix an OOPS or improve a pages/scripts
performance you add a note if the strategy you used isn't already
documented. I'm sure the first few times we'll get lots of edits, but
there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of variation in the sorts of
problems we're seeing so far.

-Rob