Re: ec2 instances not shutting down

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 14:42 +0100, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 3:53 AM, Tim Penhey <tim.penhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've had a number of situations where an ec2 instance hasn't shut down after
> > it has sent out the email.  The instance was still running almost two hours
> > after sending the email.
> >

> According to Bazaar, the code that does this hasn't changed recently.
> The most likely candidate is a 2010-07-25 change (r11224) that times
> out the server using "shutdown +TIMEOUT" rather than a call to "at".

Well, the timeout is set to 8h and the test suite takes around 3h IIRC,
so the shutdown wouldn't have kicked in when Tim noticed the instance
was still running.

This is not the code responsible for terminating the instances, though
-- it was added to prevent these rogue instances from being kept running
for too long.  Maybe we can change the timeout to 6h or maybe even 5h?