Re: sql derived data, eager loading and cachedproperty

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:38:26 +1200, Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Clint Byrum <clint.byrum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I'm partial to Gearman for farming work like this out btw. ;)
> >
> > www.gearman.org
>
> I had been meaning to ask - we have some gearman like needs at the
> moment, and are installing rabbitMQ. Do you see gearman as a
> replacement for rabbit, or something that might be complementary? I
> don't think we'd really want the cognitive overhead of two
> nearly-identical things.

The only experience I have of gearman is asking the author in his talk
at LCA how gearman would cope with a job that took a day to execute and
him completely waffling in response.  The impression I got was that
gearman was really targeted at getting things done from MySQL triggers,
which seemed a rather niche use case... probably my impression is wrong
though :-)

Cheers,
mwh