Re: wave a feature flag today!

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Feature Flags <http://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/FeatureFlags> are now live
> on production (both devel and db-devel) and you can use them in your
> own branches.

\o/ Thank you -very- much for driving and doing this.

>  2- within code, use the lp.services.features.per_thread.features
> object to look things up

Note that the next paragraph is logically /totally separate/ : you can
deploy code depending on a flag that has *no rules*. It will simply be
disabled in production and invisible.

I expect the usual practice to be an RT request filed once you know
you need a feature rule to have it bound to e.g. the beta users team,
or whatever criteria describes the requests which you want to have see
the feature as 'on'.

For staging we'll want to let any LP developer turn rules on and off
via the UI to enable QAing changes easily.

> Then by inserting rows into the featureflags table, you can turn them
> on and off within particular scopes.  At the moment the only defined
> scope is the somewhat boring 'default', which is always on, but soon
> there will be one for beta users, and there are more exciting
> possibilities in the LEP.

Martin, what do you suggest developers do to write tests that check
how something looks with a feature on/off ?

-Rob