New coding standard for formatting imports

A few weeks ago Robert Collins raised the issue of revising our coding standards regarding imports.  For a while we've had the standard that lists should be formatted one-item-per line such as;

animals = [
    cows,
    ducks,
    pigs,
    ]

(Note the required trailing comma on the last item.)

We had an exception for imports and allowed them to have multiple on a line.

After discussion and voting we decided to have imports be one-per-line, too.

from lp.registry.animals import (
    cows,
    ducks,
    pigs,
    )

If you only import one symbol, keeping it on the same line is preferred:

from lp.registry.cars import citroen

Henning Eggers will be writing a tool to reformat imports and will do it all at once.  Until then reviewers will not be enforcing the policy.

--Brad

Follow ups