Re: optimizing adding team members

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Robert Collins
<robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This has two characteristics that what I described does not, and both
> are constraints.
> Firstly, it adds another client round trip. Thats (optimistically)
> 300ms from here, and also, importantly, upwards of 200ms in Asia,
> where we have a lot of commercial users.

Presumably you'd be waiting for more than 300ms to get an actual
response, otherwise you would just do it within the same transaction?

> Secondly, the Landscape implementation uses a new host name, which
> adds an SSL handshake if no TCP connection is open (common for only
> occasionally used services), and even key exchange if the key is out
> of the cache.

Not sure where you got this one from. It uses the same host name.
Requests to '/ajax' are simply forwarded to a different server in the
backend by way of mod_rewrite.

> Thirdly, you need to render long poll responses in a different
> appserver environment than your regular one, which adds programming
> and programmer friction.

It's slightly different, which adds some friction. Justifiable though, IMO.

-- Sidnei