Re: Revisiting official_codehosting and usage enums

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:46:33 Jon Sackett wrote:
> Hello all--
>
> In updating the codebase to use the usage enums proposed a month ago, the
> following scenario (which I think Martin Pool alluded to) comes up:
>
> 1) A product uses a branch on launchpad as its development focus.
>
> 2) The branch is itself a mirror of an externally hosted branch.
>
> Previously, the code saw the presence of a development focus and determined
> that the product did in fact use Launchpad for codehosting. But our
> criteria for the codehosting_usage enum requires that the branch's type be
> HOSTED, and in this instance the branch is actually MIRRORED.
>
> It would seem that in this scenario the product shouldn't be said to use
> Launchpad for codehosting, but as there was some discussion on this before
> I thought I might get other  opinions.

It is slightly more complicated than that, as a project owner may have
branches on their server for their project but they mirror the branches into
Launchpad, but that branch is the "primary" branch for other developers to
use.

MySQL is a large project that leaps to mind that does this.

There is also another weird case for something like couch-db, where the
primary branch is in git on github, but it is imported into Launchpad.  Some
developers then use bzr for their feature branches, and use the LP code review
system before pushing the change back to git.

Yours confusingly,
Tim