Re: performance tuesday - transparency

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Deryck Hodge
<deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, Robert.
>
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Robert Collins
> <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Theres a 40 second gap between a fairly innocuous call:
>> 486.    5408    4ms     launchpad-main-master   UPDATE Bug SET
>> heat=calculate_bug_heat(622129), heat_last_updated=CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
>> AT TIME ZONE 'UTC' WHERE Bug.id = %s
>> and the end of request glue:
>> 487.    45213   2ms     session UPDATE SessionData SET last_accessed =
>> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP WHERE client_id = %s AND last_accessed <
>> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - '540 seconds'::interval
>>
>> This action sends email, so its a pretty good bet that that is it. But
>> - how many emails is it sending? Aren't emails from bugs meant to be
>> deferred *anyway* ?
>>

> Perhaps this was rhetorical to highlight the problem you see here (and
> sorry I'm late in responding to this), but to answer the general
> question about email:

It was rhetorical but thanks for highlighting that its not
consistently deferred.

I agree that we should be doing all that work outside the appserver;
working on that is definitely a good idea under the performance banner
(and thus can get slotted into the bugs queue with other timeouts for
kanban purposes).

 I think for this particular case its answers which AFAIK don't defer,
or defer differently or something.

-Rob