Re: performance tuesday - a few notes

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Robert Collins
<robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Tom Haddon <tom.haddon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 21:04 +1200, Robert Collins wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I helped wgrant out with some explain analyzes - it seems to me it
>>> might be nice - handwaving - to permit explain-analyze calls by any
>>> developer, but perhaps thats just insanity at this hour of the night
>>> kicking in:)
>>
>> We'd really like to push fairly hard against this one. EXPLAIN ANALYZE
>> actually runs the query against the DB, so it has the potential to cause
>> performance problems if it's a badly constructed query, apart from
>> anything else.
>
> Hell yeah. I was thinking *staging* only. Yes there can be performance
> issues, but thats rather the point :)
>
> -Rob

Please, please please do something like this. I waste so much time
trying to optimize queries. A lot of the time is spent just trying to
think of every possible piece of information I need up front, so that
I don't have to harass the losas over and over again. We've talked
about providing a test database before but I don't know what happened
to that. One caveat of just allowing explain analyze queries is that
you can't test whether adding an index will change the complex query
plan.

-Edwin