Re: The future of downtime for rollouts?

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 11:41 +0100, Tom Haddon wrote:
> Might be more reliable but less accurate :) We estimate the downtime
> based on how long the last update took on staging, and then
> multiplying
> by a factor that seems to have accurately reflected the difference in
> time between staging and production (with a little padding). We could
> only commit to 90 mins if we refused to rollout any DB updates that
> took
> longer than a certain period of time on staging.

Staging restore times trend up, so we are always talking about
increasing time for a rollout. We will continue to do schema development
after the featureflag is complete. What we cannot see is the staging
restore time verses the real time--maybe that is pointless because there
are other rollout incidents that increased the rollout.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/