Re: generic job queue cronjob?

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But I don't think we should rush into 3.  I think that our needs are not
> especially unique, and existing solutions may come pretty close to
> offering what we need, even before we start building on top of them.  I
> have trouble imagining that RabbitMQ, by itself, would be better for us
> than running Celery on top of RabbitMQ.

Thanks for the great explanation! Using Celery on top of RabbitMQ
sounds like a fantastic option. In a case like that, we still benefit
from tools which tie into RabbitMQ directly for example nagios checks
monitoring that the broker is alive, and we still benefit from Rabbit
having security support. This reminds me a bit of PostgreSQL, where we
primarily use storm rather than raw SQL, but we still get the benefits
of being able to use other tools which connect to PostgreSQL directly.

Celery is not currently packaged in Debian or Ubuntu, although there
is an ITP bug for django-celery which is distinct from what we've been
talking about. Perhaps packaging of Celery for Ubuntu would be a good
thing to request of the platform team at the upcoming UDS.

Are there any drawbacks or limitations in using Celery+RabbitMQ that I
could help with getting addressed upstream?
--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/