Re: Launchpad Privacy (issue 6 final)

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 14:02 -0400, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> A Brief Primer on Launchpad Privacy (issue 6)
>
> Working with Private Structures or Artefacts in Public Contexts
>
> It is common for users to see their private things in lists, such as a list
> of private bug in a list of bugs or a private team in a list of subscribers.
> Launchpad SQL queries will restrict the listing to public items and the
> few private items the user is subscribed to.

bac: Saying 'few' is probably an inaccurate assumption.  I imagine
the number of private bugs will be 'very, very many' for OEM people.

sinzui: No, few is correct, the context is not. The private context will
of course be all private. A private context bug is not shared between
pillars. So public contexts for bugs are the often the whole
bugcollection, like searching bugs.launchpad.net or
launchpadAPI.bugs.search()

> Private items will be displayed differently in listings to indicate that they
> are private to the user. This will inform the user about the risk of taking
> a screen shot of the page and posting it in a public location. Private
> pages will clearly state the page is private to remind the user about the
> project or distro he is working in.

bac: The mechanism for doing this is undecided, I assume, given the
difficulty we've already had with users becoming numbed to the privacy
markers we've employed.

sinzui: I think we need dancing private parts. Colour was suggested, but
making something different as we have done failed. Different is not
enough. Users need to see the words private in may places, such as a
band along the edges of the page or a watermark.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/