Re: How do we fix the Launchpad's login experience?

I'm really glad to see this being discussed in detail.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:18 PM, William Grant <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that login.launchpad.net needs to disappear. It is simply too
> confusing -- everyone has two independent sets of email addresses
> associated with Launchpad.net.
>
> It can't safely be destroyed now (forcing non-Ubuntu LP users to use an
> Ubuntu-branded SSO site would be foolish), but it seems reasonable to do
> it once LP becomes a general OpenID provider.

This might be a dumb question, but why is it a problem if non-Ubuntu
LP users see an Ubuntu-branded SSO site? How does LP becoming a
general OpenID provider help here?

> If it can, Launchpad also needs to link back to the provider. There's no
> way to change one's password from the LP UI, and no hint as to where one
> must go.
> I don't think this is what you mean. RP == Relying Party, which is what
> LP is moving *towards*. Do you mean that LP should stop being an OP
> (OpenID Provider)? If so, I believe we already have: all that remains is
> the XRDS on Person:+index, which must remain for compatibility.

I'm still trying to get up to speed but it seems like earlier in this
mail you mentioned becoming a general OpenID provider, now you mention
LP already has stopped being an OP? I use
https://launchpad.net/~statik/ to login via openID to various 3rd
party sites such as stackoverflow.com. Is this going to stop working
?(I won't complain if it does, just trying to understand)

> In summary: fix bug #637968, make LP a general RP, destroy
> login.launchpad.net.

This sounds like a good summary, although I would like to understand
why is making LP a general RP a necessary step?
--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/