bug expiry announcements

I received 26 mails telling me about expiry changes; many people will
have received more - I'm not particularly prolific in my involvement
with upstream projects.

I realise that expiry has been a hot potato and the goal was to make
sure folk know... however I think that future things along this line
would benefit by a few tweaks.

Firstly, i think it would be nice if there were a blog post about it,
because many *users* of the bug system will be affected even if they
are not a 'bug supervisor'.

With a blog post in place, if we really need to grab peoples
attention, sending a single email with a summary of their projects,
the settings on those projects and a link to the blog post for details
would let folk know with only a single mail, and also give them a good
reference list for the things they may want to change.

I don't know how many folk will have received duplicate mails, but if
we think its a large number, we might patch up things a bit by
offering an apology..... on the blog. I do know at least one upstream
who found the volume of emails distressing (and they only received 10
or so).

-Rob

Follow ups