Re: Going all the way or the proper way to create work for others

On October 7, 2010, Stuart Bishop wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Francis J. Lacoste
>
> <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For illustration purpose only, two recent examples of rippled changes
> > that should happen differently next time:
> >
> > - New way to handle OOPS in cron scripts
>
> What should have happened differently here? We added OOPS reporting to
> all cronscripts and fixed all tests. I'm not aware of anything that
> would change the way this work was done and landed.

In an ideal world we should have done two additional things:

- Tell people that their script was going to generate OOPS for all ERROR and
WARNING messages while working on it, so that people could appreciate how that
would impact them.

- Analyse the impact on scripts that already implemented OOPS handling.
Potentially, migrating those to the common infrastructure, or fixing them not
to generate two OOPSes.