Re: Experiment proposal: Optional Reviews

On 2010-10-19 17:28, Julian Edwards wrote:
On Tuesday 19 October 2010 02:53:10 Robert Collins wrote:
What do you think?

So basically, you want to bring back [r=trivial] ?

To those who missed preceding episodes: Julian is referring to the old days when we did allow unreviewed landings.

It was decided that the practice did more harm than good, and a choice was made: try to get faster reviews, not fewer. We probably sputtered a bit, but once we made the change we never looked back.

I'm tempted to go into how much I learn from reviews, or how often people tell me how useful they find my reviews, or how often I'm annoyed or delayed nowadays by code that appears to have been rubber-stamped in violation of rules, guidelines, consistency, or good practice. But instead I'll give a rule of thumb:

The most urgent sign that you need a review is when you don't want your code reviewed.

You can call it "don't need" but that's often a rationalization.

Not always, of course! Sometimes you actually know what you're doing. But you only get there after enough nosebleeds. Make it easy to get around review and you'll just encourage us to have our nosebleeds in production code.

Jeroen