Re: Request for input - move Launchpad log files from root directory to a logs subdir

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 13:00 +1000, Ian Booth wrote:
> Hi people
>
> I currently have a mp for review which moves the various launchpad log
> and trace files from the root directory to a logs subdir directly off
> the root directory. However, I need input from people as to what impact
> this may have on production systems, namely cleanup scripts or metrics
> gathering tools and the like.

Do you mean the root directory of the code tree?

> The reason for doing this is that it results in:
> - a cleaner project directory,
> - easier management of the files,
> - a more robust .bzrignore entry (no need to enumerate all possible log
> files, just a single "log" entry will do),
> - allows IDE's to be easily configured to ignore log files, saving lots
> of CPU and parsing overhead.
> - more accurate project wide greps if log files can be easily excluded,
> which they can be if they're all in the one sub directory
>
> I've changed everything I know about and on a development system the app
> itself and tests run ok but I'm not sure about production deployment issues.
>
> The affected log files include:
>
> The affected log files include only those associated with Launchpad itself:
> - thread*.request
> - launchpad.log
> - launchpad-access.log
> - trace.log
> - pagetests-access.log
> - google-stub.log

Of these, the only ones I see in the production systems in the code tree
itself is the thread*.request files. I don't see the last two at all
(maybe those aren't actually created on production?) but the others are
all sent to log directories per configs defined in
lp-production-configs. We'd like that part to stay that way, but have no
objection to moving the thread*.request files as well.