Re: Faster builds

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Benji and I got a little worked up yesterday over the time it takes to do a
> "make" or "make schema."  We're probably not alone.
>
> I have two pieces of good news for you, then some pie in the sky, and a
> question (with more floating pie attached).
>

> Good news #1: an optimized version of security.py just hit devel, so "make
> schema" will be much faster.
>

> Good news #2: the default "make" target now supports parallel builds!

Thanks!

> Pie in the sky #1: Benji figured a way around a sizable chunk of the time it
> takes to generate the WADL.  WADL generation is the big bottleneck,
> especially in a parallel build.

> Appendix A: Technical Details

>  * WADL generation now dominates build time, so for further gains we need
> that to run either faster or in parallel.  Breaking it down into multiple
> script runs would incur more ZCML processing, which could be significant.

Could we remove wadl generation from 'build' entirely?

AIUI, we need it for some tests, and we need it for deployment. Why
not get the tests to generate the wadl just-in-time, and have a
separate make target for things that need to be done on deployment?

Also note that there's a 'make compile' step which builds practically
everything you need for most tests, and does *not* build wadl.

jml