Re: Better UI and AJAX (was Re: next technical architect kanban task)

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Deryck Hodge
<deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> *** stop trying to write JavaScript as if it's Python

I agree; heck, we don't even write Python as if its Python :).

Have you played with pyjamas (http://pyjs.org/)?

> *** stop using lazr-js and move all our js work in tree
>    We should point to YUI as the standard and share code and
>    examples across projects in a lighter-weight fashion.

+1

> *** make testing simpler and be explicit about how we test
>
>    I've said much about this in the past.  browser testing is not unit testing.
>    Our Windmill tests are terribly written.  And literally no one on Launchpad
>    knows why we write them.  And it shows. ;)
>
>    We should understand why we browser test, have a better tool for it,
>    and insist on TDD via yui tests over CI browser or integration testing.

Unit testing and integration tests /are/ different. the fact they're
both running in a browser co-process is incidental IMO. Or perhaps I'm
missing some some subtle aspect here.

> I'm sure there are other good ideas, but if we did each of these, the
> JavaScript development story on Launchpad would be substantially
> better than it is now.

I'm delighted that you're thinking about this - please keep pushing forward!

-Rob