Re: Failing to start postgres

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Guilherme Salgado
<salgado@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Since the last kernel upgrade (yesterday, IIRC) I can no longer start
> postgres up. I get the following error, and /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax is
> indeed smaller than what postgres is requesting. After changing that
> manually I was able to start postgres again.
>
> Has anybody seen that?  Should we report it as a bug against Ubuntu or
> should we just lower the config variables that influence the size that
> postgres passes on to shmget()?

I haven't seen on my local system. It is something we always have to
change on production when we increase how much RAM PG should use.

If default PostgreSQL doesn't start up under default Ubuntu, that is a
bug on the Ubuntu PostgreSQL package.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/