Re: Launchpad Projects Merge Preview

On 14 December 2010 11:03, Max Bowsher <maxb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 13/12/10 17:16, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Please browse https://bugs.staging.launchpad.net/launchpad for a preview of
>> the future.
>>
>> Staging got rid of the following sub projects: blueprint, launchpad-answers,
>> launchpad-code, launchpad-foundations, launchpad-registry, launchpad-web,
>> malone, rosetta and soyuz. The projects were deactivated. (The launchpad-*
>> aliases will be added on production.)
>>
>> All bugs, questions and faqs were reassigned to the one and only one launchpad
>> project.
>
> There's probably a good reason for doing all this, and it may even have
> been mentioned on this list at some point, but speaking as someone on
> the periphery of LP development, this feels like a negative step. If I
> wanted to search for whether a bug was already reported, I used to be
> able to immediately focus in on just the code, or soyuz, or malone, etc.
>
> I would suggest that some mention of this reorganization should probably
> occur on the Launchpad Blog before it hits production.

I think this is a positive step for Launchpad.
 * time is wasted at the moment re-sorting bugs
 * other projects need ways to group bugs within a single code base;
launchpad shouldn't "cheat" by using multiple projects
 * work is underway (iirc) on subscribe-to-tag etc

I do agree with Max this ought to be advertised before it's done.
There are people (well, at least me) who have things bookmarked, who
are subscribed to bugs in particular apps, etc. A one or two paragraph
blog post would do, and we don't need to enter into bikeshedding.

--
Martin