Re: Mailing lists in Launchpad

On Jan 07, 2011, at 07:26 AM, Robert Collins wrote:

>Another possibility is to move from a static-file archiver to just
>delivering views on the messages dynamically, which would likely make
>a lot of things easier; we've been investigating highly scalable db's
>- Cassandra in particular - that would offset any scaling concerns.

Yes.  We've discussed that a few times over the years in the Mailman mailing
lists and it would be very beneficial for a number of reasons (takedowns,
improved email obfuscation, additional dynamic linking, etc.)  When Pipermail
was originally written, it wasn't feasible to do, but certainly machines are
fast enough now, especially with caching.

On archiver-dev a few months ago, Bill Janssen also floated the idea of using
uplib <http://uplib.parc.com/> as a foundation for a better, dynamic archiver.

-Barry