Re: Javascript impossible to debug

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Tim Penhey <tim.penhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Right now the default behaviour of our build system is to produce javascript
> that is impossible to debug as it minifies everything.
>
> How can we fix this?

Long term the right solution is to get a combo loader going, one that
can be run locally in addition to the central Canonical one.  The
local one could then link non-minified files.

Until then, it's probably worth making the jsbuild step sniff for
devmode and not link the minified files.  So launchpap.js would be
larger, but you could step through the code better.  I'm not sure what
the performance impact on development would be of this approach.

And as a user of Firebug, I've been meaning to add this Firefox add on
to see if it helps, but haven't gotten to it yet:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/javascript-deminifier/

Maybe there's something similar for Chromium users.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge