Re: performance tuesday - timeout setting, to change or not, that is the question!

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We're continuing to make steady progress on timeouts - there are 5
> timeout improve/fix patches in the deploy queue at the moment.
...> I'm going to ask the losas to drop the request timeout another second
> now : this may cause some more pages that are on the edge to start
> failing on their first hit (or second if its not a cold cache
> situation). if the spike is large, we can roll it back at a moments
> notice.

Its been 24 hours now, and the report from yesterday shows no increase
in timeouts: we've shaved another second of our backstop without
increasing our failure rate at all. (Though the daily reports show can
show variation due to use activity, a large spike would have been
visible.).

We have made significant traction on BugTask:+index, the worst
offender for a while now:
166 /  296  BugTask:+index (1st Mar)
123 /  188  BugTask:+index (2nd Mar)

I intend to leave the timeout where it is for another month as we
continue to fix things; if we get below 0.005% requests timing out,
I'll consider another reduction mid March.

Cheers,
Rob