Re: Packaging permissions redux

On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 14:28 -0600, Micah Gersten wrote:
> > This suggests that we should restrict the ability to create and
> destroy
> > Packagings.  Curtis mentioned that in his experience, Packagings
> created
> > by members of Project teams were low-quality, compared with
> Packagings
> > created by Packagers.  So perhaps we should restrict Packaging
> creation
> > to those with upload rights on the relevant source packages.
>
> What about making Bug Supervisor the minimum requirement for this?

I have not seen any evidence that a project bug supervisor knows enough
about packaging in distros to qualify. I have no evidence though. May
every project I deleted packaging links from were projects with just
owners.

The current Packages in Distributions suggestion feature is very good.
Many of us link projects to packages because the portlet shows the right
package in list as we traverse to another page. I still delete packaging
links created from this portlet because the suggestions can be wrong,
and the user does not understand packaging at all. The most common
mistake seems to be, "My project depends or or extend FNORD, therefore
my project provides FNORD." :/

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/