Re: Is it ok to report slightly inflated bug counts in portlets; counting bugs; accuracy vs speed

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 5:00 AM, Robert Collins
<robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, specifically to jml & Deryck, but also to the whole team and any
> users following this discussion: is it ok to be slightly inflated but
> fast?

In this case of large numbers of bugs slightly inflated and fast is
completely fine.  As Curtis notes, the numbers vary so much, I'm not
sure anyone will notice.  In the case of smaller numbers of bugs,
inflated is bad.  If I see "2 new bugs" and go to triage and there's
only 1, then it's confusing.

If I could have whatever I wanted, I'd vote for precise for projects
with smaller numbers of bugs, and faster but less precise with large
numbers of bugs. :-)  If I have to pick either/of, then I think
slightly inflated but faster is still the better option.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge