Re: performance tuesday - services design progress

On Jun 01, 2011, at 10:23 AM, Aaron Bentley wrote:

>In simple REST implementations, the fact that every URL is an object can
>be a significant performance issue, because you must access them once at
>a time, instead of as a group.  If we go this route, we should be sure
>that it's easy do do things like retrieving a ProductSeries and its
>linked branch in a single call.

You do that by defining a resource that represents the group of things you
want to operate on.  It can be tricky sometimes, but it's doable.

BTW, lazr.restful is only REST-ish because it defines backdoor function calls.
I've been getting a lot of mileage out of the restish.io library (which
conversely, allows for pure REST implementations) and JSON representation.  It
lacks some of the nice collections support in lazr.restful, but it's also
*much* more lightweight, integrates well with WSGI, and it's not hard to add
support for collections.  I don't much care about WADL though, so I'm ignoring
that whole thing.  Also, it does help to have PATCH support, which takes a
small bit of hacking, but it's worth it.

-Barry