Collation orders in Launchpad

Hi all,

We've had a merge proposal to make sorting of subscriber names case-insensitive:

https://code.launchpad.net/~nigelbabu/launchpad/spec-sub-sort/+merge/63315

This harks back to a problem we've run into before: IIRC we run Launchpad in the C locale, which sorts unpleasantly. It may seem like a small thing if you're used to Latin script but it could actually be quite bad with other languages. Any human-readable locale such as en_US.UTF-8 would fix the problem.

As I recall, technical uncertainty stopped us from fixing this at the time. It may have been because we were still running dapper back then, and its locale support differed too much from lucid's.

Could we try again, or perhaps find some narrower way to improve user-visible sort ordering?

Jeroen

Follow ups