Re: performance tuesday - services design progress

* Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2011-06-01 14:30 +1200]:
> Rather than repeat the wiki page here, I'd love it if you were to go
> and have a read, and reply to this thread with your thoughts. All the
> discussions I previously put off - e.g. should we use a message queue
> as the default internal protocol - are now up for discussion!

Regarding the Template/API service part of the ServiceRoadmap wiki
page, if I understand correctly, the solution proposed by Gary at the
Epic would consist of mostly serving static pages where the content
would be dynamically retrieved by JavaScript. This is something I
considered myself until I came across the concept of Progressive
enhancement [1] which proposes first making the site compatible with
the lowest common denominator. Then, while maintaining compatibility,
adding functionality with technologies like CSS and JavaScript. This is
important for accessibility reasons because some users still need to use
Lynx. I would be curious to know how providing content with JavaScript
might conform to the various levels of accessibility on W3C's three-level
scale...

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_enhancement

--
Marc Tardif <marc.tardif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>