Re: simplifying the bug model -a little-

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Some package maintainers may dislike the proposed change due to being
> accustomed to having bugs auto-carried over.  It might be worthwhile
> considering adding UI or tools to help address these needs.

Good point. Would a command line tool, perhaps added as a part of
ubuntu-dev-tools, be sufficient?

> Presently in Ubuntu series nominations are often used for marking
> "bugs with a fix worth backporting", and some package maintainers may
> dislike the proposed change since this would be harder.  But use of
> milestones should address this need, I think.

Would we have to do something to help them adjust to using milestones?
(Could be as simple as an announcement to ubuntu-dev)

> Currently we tag bugs by release name.  If the proposed change is
> implemented, it would be helpful to conduct a mass tag-to-nomination
> change, to ensure bugs are properly targeted in the new system.

That sounds like a thing we could help with / do as part of the migration.

> Anyway, this change could be a bit bumpy for Ubuntu but IMHO it ends up
> providing a lot of benefit.

Thanks for the great feedback!

jml