Re: vcs imports email

On 7 June 2011 23:15, Max Bowsher <_@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/06/11 13:55, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>> The VCS imports system currently sends a lot of email; at the moment it
>> sends an email every time a vcs import has its import status changed.
>> This makes it very hard to do some (belated) spring cleaning of the
>> existing imports as it means spamming a lot of people.
>>
>> Personally, I only look at the occasional email about an existing import
>> that has started failing or when a new import that requires approval has
>> appeared, and I ignore everything else. Do other team members use them?
>>
>> Would it be reasonable to restrict the emails for the vcs-imports team
>> to just new imports requiring review (i.e. CVS and SVN imports) and
>> imports that have started failing? Branch subscribers could still be
>> sent all status changes.
>
> From the perspective of notifications that I actually want to be
> notified about, your defined set sounds right.

+1

It would be nice if inside of Launchpad this was done by some kind of
table of rules about how different mail is sent, rather than inline in
the code that sends it, as seems to be the case now.

> However, I have occasionally found myself using my archived folder of
> vcs-imports mails as an audit log ("Who left that unattributed comment
> in the branch whiteboard?")

Perhaps it could send mail to a list with a public archive, or write
into a public log?  Or are these mails semi-private?

Martin