Re: how should we make sure new pages meet our performance goals?

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So a month-and-change back we agreed on this list that we'd make sure
> new pages met our performance goals (<1 sec renders 99% of the time, 5
> second timeout).
>
> Problem is, I don't think we know how to do that :)

If the new pages are only accessible via a feature flag, then they
become experimental pages. They are new pages when they are available
to the world, which only happens if they meet our performance goals.

>  - new pages should scale sufficiently well that they don't fall into
> trouble immediately that the team project is finished
>
> Some projects will be presenting new views on existing data and these
> can reasonably expect that once they are fast enough they will stay at
> approximately the same performance for a while. Other projects that
> add new data will need to wait for users to come along and well, use
> the feature, before we can tell if its scales or not.

If it is new data, it should be easy enough to create lorem ipsum
style rubbish on staging with a throwaway script. Well, easy provided
the new data is also accessible via the Launchpad API :-) It isn't
perfect though, as you won't know what the real data is really going
to look like until real users create it.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/