Re: [RFC] LEP: Build from branch into archive

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 23:17 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> I don't agree that doing a one-off build of a branch from a recipe is
> trivial. You have to create a recipe, select a PPA, request a build,
> and
> then delete the recipe after the build has completed. Recipes don't
> allow you to build a specific revision in a branch as-is, they always
> add a custom changelog entry. I certainly wouldn't want to have to go
> through this every time I do an upload to Ubuntu or a PPA.

bzr-builder is cruel. It requires me to provide a informative changelog
entry in my branch or a nested branch, which is used to make an
gibberish entry. I agree a new entry is needed for daily builds, but
many of my branches are build on demand. I did write a good changelog
entry, and I do not see it when I install :(

> Recipes are very useful for doing regular builds from a combination
> of
> multiple branches into a PPA (like daily builds). They're less
> appropriate for manual builds into an archive.

Is this feature just about source package branches? They are only
branches that I know that are guaranteed to have a debian/ directory.

Is the goal just to rebuild a package in an archive to ensure deps are
met and that build links to changed binaries?

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/