Re: fastdowntime db deployment update

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Stuart Bishop
<stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We are scheduled for a real run 2011-09-09 08:30 UTC, applying our
> backlog of database patches. The outage should be well within our 5
> minute window. It is not yet known which parts of soyuz will be kept
> live during the update, and which fragile parts will be shutdown for a
> longer period.

Todays rollout was a success. The update process went smoothly. The
preparatory steps where we shutdown systems that do not cope with the
outage has rough edges and ideally should not be needed at all. You
will find nugs on what needs to be done to smooth things further
tagged fastdowntime or fastdowntime-later.

lp:launchpad/db-devel has been merged back into lp:launchpad/devel.
Apart from Ubuntu release and other critical time periods, from now on
all landings to lp:launchpad/db-devel should be merged back into
lp:launchpad/devel within a day or three.

Also to reiterate previous discussions, there should now be 0 landings
of code changes on lp:launchpad/db-devel. All code changes must land
via lp:launchpad/devel, and only database changes
(database/schema/*.sql) should land directly on lp:launchpad/db-devel.
This ensures our code rollouts and database rollouts remain decoupled
and keeps our qa reports happy.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/