Re: Preparing for 12.04 LTS

On Sep 13, 2011, at 05:23 PM, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:

>> Francis tells me that Launchpad already runs fairly well on Python 2.7 +
>> Oneiric on developer machines, with just one or two test failures.
>
>That's actually from hear-say and from a while back. I don't know the exact
>status of this today, but to me the biggest hurdles around this have always
>been the deployment issues.

Can any other LP devs confirm?

>> After some discussion with Francis and Steve Langasek, I think a more
>> fruitful approach will be to forward port Python 2.6 to a P-series PPA, and
>> then make this available to Launchpad, so that it could continue to run on
>> Python 2.6 even after it upgraded to 12.04.  Then at its leisure, Launchpad
>> would make the switch to Python 2.7 and get rid of the PPA.
>
>The only downside for us with this plan is that we won't be able to update to
>python 2.7 until our data centre machines are migrated to 12.04 LTS. We are
>usually eager to update, so probably among the first to upgrade, but that
>still means that python 2.7 would be something like 8-9 months away. I don't
>think it's such big a deal, but let's see if others disagree.

Yep.  Colin Watson gave me a few additional clues to chase down last night, so
I'll probably spend one more day on back porting.  I'll report back on
progress before the week's out.

>> Steve brought up one good question, which is whether, after upgrading the
>> LP server to 12.04, you will also rebuild Launchpad.
>
>We don't rebuild by default after a reboot, but rebuilding isn't a big
>deal :-)

Cool.  I don't know if you've started to plan or keep notes on moving to the
next LTS.  If so, add this one to the list. :)

-Barry