Re: Updated policy around cronspam, oops reporting etc

On 15 September 2011 06:49, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We recently had a situation where we got overwhelmed with 'noise' on
> our cron output: things that are meant to be 'silent unless things go
> wrong' started outputing significant amounts of email. This
> overwhelmed the folk that track the cron output and a real issue was
> missed (the librarian-gc script was in crisis).

One thing that trapped me before is: it's not utterly obvious what
code changes will cause this noise in production, because it depends
on configuration rules that developers can't see.  I naively added
"warning" level logging about slightly-bad situations to some mail
code and it turns out that sets off a big red light, whereas "debug"
and "info" are fine (iirc).