Re: Should team membership requests expire?

On 2011-10-12 18:16, Nigel Babu wrote:

I think it would be a nice idea to have team admins be able to set a
certain number of days or months after which an application is either
automatically rejected or expired (like we do for bugs).  This makes
things cleaner and more flexible for all teams that use Launchpad.

That does sound nice.  And as you said on IRC, “a year” is arbitrary.

But how often can a team owner predict exactly what to do should they ever be unable to attend to requests for precisely, say, 18 days? It's still arbitrary, just with a knob for people to twiddle and argue over.

Is arbitrary so bad? Maybe not. Expiry is a way to deal with breakdowns in management by humans, not a substitute for it. If we draw a visible line at one year, maybe the humans will be stimulated to do better. A 3-year backlog of requests, mostly no longer relevant, certainly won't stimulate them.

Finally, but most importantly: if we want to do this, it had better be as simple as it can be or we'll never get around to it.

Jeroen