Re: Proposed team agreements feature

On 11/09/2011 02:13 AM, Martin Pool wrote:
>> Can I add a team to a team that has an agreement? Who signs?
>
> Yes, it should be possible, because it lets us model corporate
> agreements: xyzcorp signs the corporate CA and then ~xyz-staff is
> added.
>
> I think only the admin of the being-joined team can do this, and the
> onus is on them to be sure it's reasonable.

I think is a very brittle case to support. Much like issues of privacy,
when one member of a sub team misbehaves (refuses to sign the
agreement), I need to remove the sub team or ask the sub team to remove
the member.

My adding my team to a team with an agreement, my team inherits the
agreement. This would mean that a team could have many agreements. Maybe
the agreements would contradict each other. Or when I join any Lp team,
I am always authorising the team admins to sign for me. I think this is
an insane case. This will undermine communities.

I think we only want to support persons as members, not teams. I do not
think corporations can legally deal with a non-official entity like an
Lp team, particularly if the Lp team is just a representation of a team
that exists outside of Lp. Agreements are with individual peoplel

> Other questions:
>
>  * If someone quits a team, must they re-sign to rejoin?  I think yes.
>
>  * Do they get a warning before quitting a team with an agreement?  I
> don't think it's needed.

I agree with both statements.

> I realize this is the normal pattern in lp but for some types of
> objects I think having two or more names just causes confusion: people
> don't understand what to put in which.  Look at the random names on
> ppas.  Could we get by with just a single name, eg 'harmony-2.0'.

I was co-opting existing code to illustrate what we store. We store
Ubuntu's CoC as a name and version, but show them as you suggest.
Lp needs to know the name and version separately if Lp must support
comparability between versions.

> Why Librarian?
>
>>    * Create a new model to access the agreement.
>>    * Update the existing signed agreements to know the team and
>>      agreement that was signed.
>>    * Add UI to upload an agreement.
>
> As I say, I don't think that's needed right at the start, and perhaps
> it's easier to shake it down just with some semi-hard-coded cases like
> the CA.  I would focus on just adding the db tables, and then doing
> click-through signing to get membership, and then go from there.

The librarian and the DB are the only two things I know of that Lp uses
to store documents. The DB handles text, where as the librarian can
handle other document types.

--
Curtis Hovey
http://launchpad.net/~sinzui