Re: An normal UX for Launchpad

On 11/10/2011 11:02 PM, Huw Wilkins wrote:
> Subdomains - while I can understand the reasoning behind our apps having
> been moved to individual subdomains, our apps are now too integrated
> within the site to considered individual apps. Individual subdomains
> work well for separate apps (think docs.google.com, calendar.google.com)
> where those apps are distinct and have little integration. Our apps are
> now just different parts of the same site (I can't just log into
> translations.launchpad.net), in-fact we want to encourage integration
> between our apps, not make them isolated. Subdomains as parts of the
> same site are unnatural way of working, they make for some very
> confusing navigation at first as well as making URL hacking really
> difficult. We will also get speed improvements due to a single SSL cert,
> not having to load media for each domain etc. We can easily map our urls
> over to something like launchpad.net/launchpad/+bugs,
> launchpad.net/launchpad/+translations etc.

Lp was like this at the start. And the top-level directories that
represent the applications are still there...we could not remove them
since Zope uses them in path traversal. We will rely on these old paths.
Our javascript does not use the host domains because browsers do not
cross-domain uses, so we write everything to work with
https://launchpad.net/. This is why '/bugs/' is still in this URL
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/bugtrackers

You will want to work with someone who knows webapp to dismantle the
server module or just the vhosts. our canonical_url will need rewriting too.

--
Curtis Hovey
http://launchpad.net/~sinzui