ec2 instance types for 'ec2 test'

Hi all,

A little #launchpad-dev chatter reminded me of something I've been
meaning to say for a while: amazon has introduced quite a few new
instance types over the last few months but ec2 test still defaults to
an 'extra large' instance (c1.xlarge).  Looking at the specs on
aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/ suggests to me that a 'High-Memory
Extra Large Instance' should be a straight win -- fewer cores, but more
oomph per core, and a few cents an hour cheaper to boot.  So if you
happen to be running 'ec2 test' any time soon, could you try running
'ec2 test -i m2.xlarge' instead and see if it seems to be any faster?

I notice that you can't supply this argument to 'ec2 land' so I'll have
a look at that next :-)

Another thing that might speed up testing is to put things in a
ramdisk -- I believe poolie is having a play with this as I type, maybe
he can follow up...

Cheers,
mwh

Follow ups