Re: notifications - an implementation straw man (warning explicit discussion of services follows)

The notification system has a lot of overlap with comments/activity on
a bug, mp, or question.  To start with, perhaps they will be
redundantly stored both as events and where they currently are, but
eventually the bug page could will just show the overall metadata
(task table etc) and then the wall of activity about that bug.

> Well, I humbly suggest that there are two common problems needed to
> implement customisable notifications, dashboards/walls, and timelines:
>  - 'who is interested in a given event'

... ie for the purpose of pushing email or other notifications out
>  - 'who was told about a given event'
> (Note that the tense is very deliberate here).

It's not clear to me that people would actually prefer "what events
was I interested in?" to "what events am I interested in?"  If people
actually prefer the latter perhaps there is a way to implement it
reasonably?

In your approach as I understand it: relevance of events to people is
marked at the time the event is fired (or soon afterwards).  So if I
subscribe to a new bug, I will see events about it in my timeline from
that point on, but not previous activity on it.  Similarly if I
implicitly subscribe to some bugs by joining a team.

Conversely if I unsubscribe from or mute a bug or leave a team, I will
still have all its activity in my log.  I suspect this will cause
complaints or confusion.  It is explainable though.  It is consistent
with what email would have been sent to the user, but inconsistent
with most social wall-type things people may be used to.

If somebody is removed from a commercially or security sensitive team
(perhaps they were incorrectly added) it is a bit strange to keep
serving what should have been private data to them, even if they could
potentially have a copy of that in email.

We could fix this while keeping the same approach of having things
fully expanded out by subscriber by going through to add or remove
rows when subscriptions change.

--
Martin