Re: Is this fallout?

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 4:42 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Francis,
>
> Just read your piece on the Launchpad blog, and I thought I should
> ask: is https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/902252 fallout?
>
> I tagged it as fallout, because the lack of sort functionality is
> caused by dynamic bug listings.  But then I read "regressions and
> fallouts... are really the *new* criticals" and now I'm not so sure.
>
> See, the underlying issue is that the structural subscriptions
> JavaScript is broken on certain pages.  It raises an exception in the
> domready handler, which terminates execution, so dynamic bug listings
> are never initialized.
>
> Is this fallout, because dynamic bug listings work introduced a bug?
> Or is it tech debt, because the structural subscription JavaScript's
> been broken all along?

Lets see if I understand correctly:
 - on these pages, *any* new js that wanted to fire on domready would
have a 50/50 chance of working (if it runs before SS it works, after
SS it does not).
 - bug listing is new js that is caught by that existing bug.

I think thats clearly fallout from structural subscriptions; which
project we did before we rearranged the bug tracker at all; so I would
tag it as though it was from the mine (that is not current project
fallout). Or perhaps break it into two bugs:
 - when js fails to load, dynamic sort buttons are not usable. Low
priority. Or even Invalid :)
 - On x/y/z pages, SS js fails to load and breaks all other js.
Critical priority.

-Rob