Re: 'stache, handlebars, tal and so forth

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, I propose that we take 'stache as the baseline *for now*:
>  - lets start doing all new pages in 'stache
>  - record friction doing this on
> https://dev.launchpad.net/MoustacheTemplates (not created yet)
>  - the codebase is tiny, we can fix bugs in the js or python versions
> pretty easily
>  - ditto performance AFAICT the implementation today is just written
> by a ruby dude that doesn't know python. (it is quadratic on the
> number of expansions required).
>  - when touching a template consider migrating it across
>  - and consider migrating templates as an itch-scratching exercise.
>
> I think this should be treated as an evolutionary step: if 'stache
> won't do the job, we need to find a different template language that
> will, while still being both server and client side available (to
> accelerate our migration to an API driven client side app). Last
> resort, we could write one : but that is the last resort.

I support this, especially as an evolutionary step.  There are
definitely some issue with 'stache, but perhaps if we commit to it and
fix bugs, these will get better.  Also, if it truly isn't the tech we
should be using here, a little more wide-spread use will make this
crystal clear.

Cheers,
deryck

--