Work items in Launchpad: outcome of our initial call

Salgado, Danilo and I had a call to discuss the scope and timeframe of
their project to have blueprints know about work items.

The minimum outcome they're looking for is that a blueprint should
have an additional text field for work items. The contents of that
text field would be validated and then parsed, each valid line
creating/updating a work item related to the blueprint.

They also plan to extend the LP API so that status.linaro.org (and
also status.ubuntu.com) can draw work item data directly from
Launchpad.

In the nice to have is a team overview (see Salgado's rough mock-up in
his previous email).

>From the PoVs of Linaro and Ubuntu, just having Launchpad know about
work items will be a good thing. However, Launchpad will really
benefit if we can get the team overview into Launchpad, rather than
status.linaro.org. The Linaro chaps have limited time in which to work
on this. They know that we don't want something in Launchpad that is a
special case for Linaro but they are also constrained in how much work
they can do to implement the team overview pages. I don't think this
will be a problem, though, having seen Salgado's mock-up.

Next steps for us are:

 * I'll create a LEP.
 * Huw, Dan, Linaro people and I will have a call about the design of
the team work-items overview and how we'll produce that and user test
it within the time the Linaro guys have to work on this.
 * The Linaro peeps need to get their scheme approved and landed and
can then get to work on migrating data.

To summarise potential issues:

 * The Product team are pretty busy already but we'll aim to shuffle
things around so that we can get the team overview into Launchpad and
not in some external Linaro-specific tool.
 * The Linaro people have only a few weeks to work on this and they
are funded to produce something that works for Linaro, rather than a
general purpose solution.

I think we can work around both these things, particularly as Danilo
and Salgado are former Launchpad team-mates and so know where we're
coming from.

I'll post further updates to the list as they come.

--
Matthew Revell
Launchpad Product Manager

https://launchpad.net/~matthew.revell