Re: Update - running Launchpad tests on canonistack

On 04/02/12 02:37, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
> On 12-02-03 11:19 AM, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>> test-farm used clould-init to do post-init customization.  You can
>> just supply a script as --user-data-file to the euca-run-instances
>> command.
>>
>> I wonder if we can reuse ec2-land more directly, though?
>

> Yes, we want to get in the position where our ec2 command can be used
> with both Canonistack and EC2. Because if Canonistack is busy, we can
> overflow easily to AWS.

Yes, agreed. My initial work was just to get stuff running on
Canonistack to see how it all hung together. As I said originally, the
plan would then be to work out what needs to be done to re-use our
existing ec2 [test|land|etc] scripts with either cloud. Doing the work
to get Canonistack working did show that there are small differences in
some of the setup commands that need to be run but once the instance is
all set up, the rest should be straightforward. I also had a dislike of
the bash commands being embedded in the Python code so that's why I
extracted them to standalone scripts.

I didn't know about cloud-init so didn't look into that.

> Note that cloud-init also works in AWS (and worked there first), so
> anything we did for Canonistack could also work for AWS (if there are
> reasons to do things differently).
>
> Also, Canonistack should support the EC2 API, so I don't understand why
> it doesn't work right out of the box once we change the API url?
>
> Or wasn't this tested?

No I didn't test this. That would have been the next step after my
initial manual test run, but I figured there would be a bit of setup
mucking around with credentials etc and I wanted to communicate the
current state of play as it all stands now.

With could-init and all the lxc scripts etc already mentioned in this
thread so far, it seems like a good time to look at consolidating what
we had and what we have into a "new" solution that can handle the scope
of our latest requirements.