Re: Plan to migrate Blueprint work items from whiteboards

On Feb 06, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:

>From a user standpoint, the ideal experience would be that on entering
>"edit mode" of the work items (by clicking, or perhaps pressing 'e' on
>the viewing page), I'd be dropped into the first available slot for Work
>items, in the text box, with all of them being un-locked for editting
>by clicking or key navigation. ideally I'd be able to do:
>
>[up arrow] (go to the previous work item if it exists)
>[down arroa] (inverse)
>
>[tab] take me from the description to the status, or status to assignee
>(with the blueprint assignee defaulted). If in assignee, tab goes to next
>line. (this is pretty much how any table of <input>'s would work I think.)
>
>[enter] move down to the next work item. If the current one is empty,
>save all of the others that were editted. Optionally have that pop up
>a "do you want to save all changes?", which is confirmed with another
>[enter].
>
>[shift-delete] delete the current work item

Please be careful if a text box is used about stomping on editing commands.
E.g. I have my Chromium set up to do Emacs key navigation which I really want
to keep.  The above doesn't sound like it would interfere, so just something
to keep in mind.

>If these are not all available on the first iteration, thats totally fine,
>but at least the [tab] key and being able to edit them all at once would
>be needed otherwise it will be more of a burden to use this system than
>the current whiteboard based one.
>
>It would be nice if these were batched up in the same way as bug statuses
>are, where a bit of thrashing on the status field in 15 or 20 seconds
>just results in one email.

A couple of other thing that would be really great:

 * shortcut (key, menu, etc) for toggling between work item states
 * links to bug (e.g. chooser perhaps, hyperlink LP: #12345, maybe even a
   short summary of key bug infos).
 * History of revisions w/diffs (a la Moin style)

>Thanks for working on this LP team!

Here, here!
-Barry