Re: obsoleting sourcedeps

On Feb 07, 2012, at 11:06 AM, Robert Collins wrote:

>I'm not sure what to do for mailman and moustache.js; for mailman I
>would like us to decouple it more thoroughly (so we can use the system
>mailman, for instance);

Long term is to switch to Mailman 3.  Given that's not released yet, and
there's still the question of the Launchpad resources to make that conversion,
maybe that's "really long term" ;).

Shorter term I think you could use the system Mailman, but write a small
mailman-launchpad or launchpad-mailman package with the couple of extra
modules that Launchpad uses.  There may be some fiddly bits to get the
integration straightened out, or the various build scripts in Launchpad could
be modified to do that integration.  I actually don't think it would be that
much work (but it's also been a while since I looked at all this stuff).

The major benefit besides the one you mentioned, is that it would allow
Launchpad to avail itself of the latest Mailman 2.1 release, including any
security patches maintained in Debian and Ubuntu.

So yeah, +1

-Barry